Pend Oreille Country is located in North Eastern Washington, on the boarder of Northern Idaho and Canada, with Newport, Washington being the County seat. We are just miles from major cities such as Spokane, Washington and Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. We offer rural living, fantastic recreational opportunities, and beautiful scenery! In short, Pend Oreille County is a great place to live, work, and play.
Wages: $20.43-$21.77 per hour DOE
Perform construction and maintenance tasks to contribute to an effective and efficient road system. Works cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees. This position is non-exempt, and subject to a collective bargaining agreement.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must possess a valid Class ‘A’ Commercial Driver’s License.
- Proven ability to operate single axle and tandem axle trucks (dump truck with pup trailer, truck with plow and sander) and trailers.
- Ability to also operate a loader and backhoe.
- Ability to operate a grader, dozer, road sweeper and other road construction and maintenance equipment desirable.
- Mechanical aptitude for major work on equipment and use of power tools required.
- Good physical condition as this position requires some heavy manual labor.
- Ability to work flexible schedules.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment physical, a background check and a driver record check.
Essential Job Functions:
- Operate a tandem axle dump truck with pup trailer and operate a tandem axle truck with plow and sander.
- Operate a loader and a backhoe.
- Operate a grader, dozer, road sweeper and other road construction and maintenance equipment.
- Perform heavy manual labor such as cleaning and installing culverts or drain tiles, cutting and removing brush and trees and removing obstacles from roadways and adjacent areas.
- The position also does manual labor connected with patching and repairing roadways and installing and repairing guardrail, fences and sign posts.
- Work in a safe manner and contribute to a safe work environment.
- Works both independently and as member of a work crew.
- May be assigned as crew leader to accomplish a specific task.
- Assist Mechanic with vehicle and equipment repair and service.
- Assist other employees as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Routinely stands, bends, sits, kneels and/or squats in awkward positions on hard surfaces for extended time periods: walks, climbs and/or crawls up or down inclines, stairs, ladders, etc. sometimes while carrying, pulling, pushing and/or lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds. Exposure to noise, fumes, chemicals and/or extreme weather conditions can be expected. Regular and punctual attendance is required. Occasionally work extended hours, varied starting time, on weekends and holidays and on overtime, sometimes with little or no notice.
Please see the above Road Maintenance Technician Job Description for the full qualifications and job functions