No experience required for entry.
The Corrections Officer is a “Correctional employee” as defined under RCW 9.94.050, and as such has the powers and duties of a peace officer while acting in the supervision and transportation of prisoners, is responsible for booking, searching and releasing prisoners; conducting security checks and maintaining security in all areas of the correction facility; writing required reports/documentation of activity; supervise meal service, visitation, recreation and work activities of inmate workers; answer telephones; take informal action to correct inmate behavior as appropriate; monitor jail access.
This exam is for the purpose of establishing a certified list of candidates for current vacancies and future employment as a Corrections Officer in the Sheriff’s Office. The eligibility of successful candidates shall remain in effect one year. See exam announcement below. Laterals, please see exam announcement for additional qualifications and testing options.
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: Minimum of three.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Union, vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, longevity, retirement plan, and medical benefits. Starting salary: Entry Level at Step 1, $3143.13/month; Laterals: Step 2, $3252.21/month to Step 3, $3366.86/month, DOE.
GENERAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
1. Must be a U.S. citizen at time of appointment.
2. Must speak, read, write legibly and spell correctly in the English language.
3. Must possess a High School diploma or equivalent.
4. Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at time of appointment (within the one year the eligibility list is in effect).
5. Vision must be at least 20/100 corrected to 20/20 with no color blindness.
6. Must possess and maintain a valid vehicle operator’s license. Applicants will be checked through the motor vehicle division.
7. Prior to employment, certified applicants will complete additional testing by the Sheriff’s Office including, but not limited to, a thorough criminal history check, a polygraph, physical (medical) check, and psychological tests.
Lateral applicants: See Exam Announcement below.
TO APPLY: Civil Service Application Required. See Below to print an application (you cannot apply on-line), pick up or request a copy by mail, from the Pend Oreille County Civil Service Office, 625 W. 4th St., Newport, WA 99156, Monday through Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM. (509) 447-6480
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN (until filled) – Monday thru Friday by 4:00pm., in person at 625 W. 4th St. Newport, WA., or via mail (PO BOX 5060, Newport, WA 99156)
PEND OREILLE COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Testing fee may be waived in cases of financial hardships.