Deputy I Accountant-job description
Salary: $2632.15 – $2956.88 per month DOE
Benefits: Eligibility for health, HRA Veba or HSA, voluntary dental, and vision coverage, PERS retirement plan options, subject to plan terms. Eligibility for company-paid benefits such as life insurance, short and long-term disability, EAP, subject to applicable waiting periods. 11 County paid holidays plus 2 floating holidays yearly.
Performs duties of cashier, customer service, clerical, and secretarial support in the office of the County Treasurer. Requires computer literacy with proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, knowledge of established office procedures, understanding of cash handling and basic accounting practices. Work is performed under direct supervision and works cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees. This position is non-exempt, and subject to a collective bargaining agreement.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be bondable.
- At least two years responsible clerical and cash handling experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs and database software.
- Ten-key by touch and accurate cashiering skills.
- Excellent public relation skills.
- Ability to read, speak, and write the English language.
- Ability to work as a team and independently to better service the public.
- Ability to type 40 words per minute.
- Must successfully pass a background check, credit check and driving record check.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical and a drug test.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Greet and assist the public by phone, in office, and by mail in a courteous and professional manner.
- Process mail and related correspondence as well as provide secretarial support to other staff members as needed.
- Cash handling responsibilities include but are not limited to: receipting of revenues, daily cash balancing, bank deposit preparation, and maintaining financial records pertaining to same.
- Maintain/update files and correspondence for tax service and mortgage companies.
- Update new taxpayer listing from Assessor’s office daily. Mail statements to same.
- Assist with Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavit processing; verifying accuracy and documentation requirements per state laws, receipting, computer input, scanning, balancing, and reporting to Washington State Department of Revenue.
- Knowledge of all aspects of warrant system (issued, redeemed, outstanding). Responsible for input and balancing of redeemed warrants.
- Knowledge of Washington State’s Budgeting, Accounting, and Reporting Systems (BARS) prescribed by the Washington State Auditor for the processing of revenues.
- Knowledge of state, federal, and local laws pertaining to work flow in the Treasurer’s office.
- Maintains inventory of office supplies and updates same periodically.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Treasurer to maintain internal controls and even workflow within the department.
Work is performed in an office setting with periods of standing, sitting and kneeling. Hand-eye coordination and fine manipulation skills are necessary to operate computers and various office machines. Physical ability to perform required duties is necessary, including occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds. This position requires ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions, policies and procedures. Regular and punctual attendance is required. Because of the nature of this position, duties must be performed during regular hours within the department (no telecommuting).