THIS POSTING IS FOR LATERAL DEPUTY ONLY. SEE QUALIFICATIONS BELOW
Deputies are responsible for the preservation of the public peace, protection of life and property, prevention of crime, investigation of crimes, the arrest of violators of the law, the proper enforcement of all laws and ordinances of the County, State and the United States, and adherence to the Sheriff’s Rules, Regulations and Procedures.
Exam Announcement, Job Description, Physical Agility Test (PAT), and application are below.
Number of vacancies: Two (2).
SALARY & BENEFITS: Union, vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, longevity, retirement plan, and medical benefits. Starting salary: Step 2, $5,143.52/month to Step 4, $5,554.06/month, DOE.
GENERAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Pend Oreille County Deputies are RESIDENT DEPUTIES. Therefore, if offered a position, relocation anywhere within Pend Oreille County at the Sheriff’s request in accordance with the department’s needs, is required. You do not need to be a resident to apply.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident at time of appointment.
- Must speak, read, write legibly and spell correctly in the English language.
- Must possess a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at time of appointment.
- Normal height and weight according to military standards, proportional and sufficient for physical restraint of suspects or arrestees.
- Vision must be at least 20/100 corrected to 20/20 with no color blindness.
- Must possess and maintain a valid vehicle operator’s license.
- Upon passing the Civil Service Test, applications forwarded to the Sheriff’s Office (certified applicants) will be subject to additional testing by the Sheriff’s Office including, but not limited to, a thorough criminal history check, a polygraph, physical (medical) check, and psychological tests.
- Must have been employed 24 months out of the last 36 months as a full-time state, county or municipal police officer. Must have attended and successfully completed the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Academy or have an equivalent certification from another state approved basic law enforcement academy. Any out-of-state applicant who has not completed the Wash. State Criminal Justice Training Academy must successfully pass the state’s equivalency test during the initial 12 months of employment.
TO APPLY: Civil Service Application Required. See below to print an application (you cannot apply on-line), pick up or request a copy by mail, from the Pend Oreille County Civil Service Office, 625 W. 4th St., Newport, WA 99156, Monday through Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM. (509) 447-6480. A $15.00 testing fee is due at time of application. Fee may be waived due to financial hardship. Pend Oreille County is an equal opportunity employer.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN- Monday thru Friday by 4:00pm., in person at 625 W. 4th St. Newport, WA., or via mail (PO BOX 5060, Newport, WA 99156). Mailed applications must be received by deadline.