Pend Oreille Country is located in North Eastern Washington, on the boarder of Northern Idaho and Canada, with Newport, Washington being the County seat. We are just miles from major cities such as Spokane, Washington and Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. We offer rural living, fantastic recreational opportunities, and beautiful scenery! In short, Pend Oreille County is a great place to live, work, and play.
Part-Time Position – working 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, 3-4 hours per day ( 1-2 hours in the morning and 1-2 hours in the afternoon) Approximately working 10 days per month.
Wage: $16.64 per hour
Mail clerk position is responsible for picking up, sorting, and delivering mail from all county offices, located in various buildings in Newport as well as the United States Post Office. This position is non-exempt, and does not qualify for County benefits. Works cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- The ability to read and write the English language
- Must have reliable transportation. County will reimburse for mileage with proof of insurance
- Required to sign a confidentiality statement pertaining to the security of the mail
- Must successfully pass a fingerprint based federal and county background check
- Must successfully pass a driving check and pre-employment physical
- Good communication and literacy skills
- Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 50lbs
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Pick up and deliver mail from county offices and US Post Office located in Newport, plus several other government offices.
- Weighs and stamps outgoing mail or packages, by operating an electronic postage meter to weigh and stamp mail.
- Completes various related paperwork
- May be responsible for lifting and or moving items weighing up to 50lbs
- Excellent customer service and communication skills required
- Preforms other duties as assigned
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Routinely stands and walks on hard surfaces for extended time periods. Walks, up/down inclines and stairs both indoors out outdoors while carrying mail bag or mail container that could weigh up to 50 lbs. Exposure to noise, and extreme weather conditions can be expected. This position requires good communication skills and occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds. Regular and punctual attendance is required. Normal work hours will be Monday – Friday working a split shift 1-2 hour in the AM and 1-2 hour in the PM. Work schedule is 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, maybe required to fill in on off weeks to cover vacations.
Because of the nature of this position, duties must be performed during regular hours within the department (no telecommuting).