Pend Oreille County is a great place to live, work, and play!
Pend Oreille Country is located in Northeastern Washington, on the border of Northern Idaho and Canada, with Newport, Washington being the County seat. We are just miles from major cities such as Spokane, Washington and Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. We offer rural living, fantastic recreational opportunities, and beautiful scenery.
Open Position: Mechanic
Full Wage Range: $26.27 – $30.08 per hour
Hiring Range: $26.27 – 28.34 per hour DOQ
Benefits include: Eligibility for medical, dental & vision insurance, HRA VEBA and/or HSA, PERS retirement plan options, life insurance, long-term disability, 40-hour work week, paid holidays, paid vacation, and paid sick leave, time-based step increases. Paid twice per month on the 10th and the 25th of each month.
JOB SUMMARY: Service and repair of County vehicles and road construction equipment. Application of mechanical skills and exercising independent judgement in diagnosing equipment malfunctions. Determining proper action to correct malfunctions and then repairing equipment as needed. Works cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees. This position is non-exempt and subject to a collective bargaining agreement.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
- Service and repair diesel trucks, heavy equipment, light trucks and passenger vehicles both in shop and in field.
- Diagnosis equipment malfunctions using computers, analyzers and scanners.
- Operate a single axle and tandem axle truck and trailer, a dozer, loader and other road construction and maintenance equipment.
- Gas and electric-arc welding.
- Load, secure, transport and unload heavy equipment.
- Assisting other employees as needed.
- Preform other related job duties as assigned Mechanic.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- At least 3 years’ experience repairing and servicing heavy equipment or light trucks and passenger vehicles.
- Experience using computers, analyzers, and scanners for diagnostics.
- Ability to work flexible schedules.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Certification from nationally recognized trade organizations and/or degree from accredited trade schools is required.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Must acquire a valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License within one year from date of hire.
- Certified welder preferred if not, most work towards welding certification one year date of hire.
- ASE certification preferred if not most work towards ASE certification one year of date of hire.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must successfully pass a background, driving record check, and CDL physical.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL ABILITIES: Routinely stands, bends, sits, kneels and/or squats in awkward positions on hard surfaces for extended time periods: walks, climbs and/or crawls up or down inclines, stairs, ladders, etc. sometimes while carrying, pulling, pushing and/or lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds.
Exposure to noise, fumes, chemicals and/or extreme weather conditions can be expected.