Pend Oreille Country is located in North Eastern Washington, on the boarder of Northern Idaho and Canada, with Newport, Washington being the County seat. We are just miles from major cities such as Spokane, Washington and Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. We offer rural living, fantastic recreational opportunities, and beautiful scenery! In short, Pend Oreille County is a great place to live, work, and play.
Wage: 20.43/Hour – $21.77/Hour DOE
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Service and repair of County vehicles and road construction equipment. Application of mechanical skills and exercising independent judgement in diagnosing equipment malfunctions. Determining proper action to correct malfunctions and then repairing equipment as needed. Works cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees. This position is non-exempt and subject to a collective bargaining agreement.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Certification from nationally recognized trade organizations and/or degree from accredited trade schools is required.Experience using computers, analyzers and scanners for diagnostics.
- At least 3 years’ experience repairing and servicing heavy equipment or light trucks and passenger vehicles.
- Experience using computers, analyzers and scanners for diagnostics.
- Must acquire a valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License within one year from date of hire.
- Ability to gas and electric-arc weld – preferred.
- Ability to operate single axle and tandem axle trucks and trailers, dozers, graders, loaders and road sweepers.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work flexible schedules.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment physical, a background check and a driver record check.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Service and repair diesel trucks, heavy equipment, light trucks and passenger vehicles both in shop and in field.
- Diagnosis equipment malfunctions using computers, analyzers and scanners.
- Operate a single axle and tandem axle truck and trailer, a dozer, loader and other road construction and maintenance equipment.
- Gas and electric-arc welding.
- Load, secure, transport and unload heavy equipment.
- Assisting other employees as needed.
- Preform other related job duties as assigned Mechanic
Routinely stands, bends, sits, kneels and/or squats in awkward positions on hard surfaces for extended time periods: walks, climbs and/or crawls up or down inclines, stairs, ladders, etc. sometimes while carrying, pulling, pushing and/or lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds. Exposure to noise, fumes, chemicals and/or extreme weather conditions can be expected. Regular and punctual attendance is required. Occasionally work extended hours, varied starting time, on weekends and holidays and on overtime, sometimes with little or no notice.
See Job Description for all working conditions.