A person who wishes to change his or her name or that of a child or ward may file a Petition in the judicial district in which he or she resides.  Residents of Pend Oreille County file for a name change with  the Pend Oreille District Court, 229 S. Garden Avenue, Newport, Washington 99156

Fill out a Petition for Name Change at the District Court between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.  When you file your petition, the clerk will set a time for your courtroom hearing.  You must bring picture ID with you for the hearing.

The filing fee is $73.00 made payable to District Court.  There is also a $73.00 recording fee payable to the Pend Oreille County Auditor.  The fee includes three certified copies of the name change.  Additional certified copies of the Name Change Order are $5.00 apiece. If you are a person currently under the jurisdiction of the Department of Corrections, you must show the court proof that you have submitted a copy of your Petition for Name Change to the Department of Corrections at least five

(5) days before the court hears your petition.

If you are required to register as a sex offender, you must submit a copy of the Petition for Name Change to the Pend Oreille County Sheriff and Washington State Patrol at least five (5) days before the hearing.  If the Petition is granted, you must submit a copy of the Order Changing Name to the Pend Oreille County Sheriff and the Washington State Patrol within five (5) days.

Minor Child Name Change: Request “Minor Name Change Additional Information Sheet” for further information and requirements.  The Petitioner is responsible for sending a certified coppy of the name change order to the Department of Licensing and the Social Security Administration.