REPORTS TO: Engineering Department Manager
Full-Time (40 hours / week); Non-exempt Position
Wage: $18.00 per hour
BASIC FUNCTIONS: The desired person to fill this position will have the ability to work as a team player. Provide skilled engineering and surveying field work for grant projects as well as office support for effective construction and maintenance of County roads and Public Works facilities. Employee may not exceed 866 hours in the contract year. This position is a seasonal non-exempt position, and is non-represented, and does not include benefits. Employee work cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: This position will be assigned a combination of job functions from among different job duties within this class or perform similar duties of similar responsibility and difficulty, not specifically mentioned herein, yet are incidental to the complete work process. Employees are expected to preform proficiently, acquire necessary certifications and to work towards competency in related work within this classification to the needs of the County.
These functions are representative only; work assignments may vary. Functions may include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform road and topographic surveying and assist the department in the other survey tasks.
- Perform construction inspections, and construction management for Public Works projects.
- Work in a safe manner and contribute to a safe work environment.
- Works both independently and as member of a project team.
- May be assigned as project leader to accomplish a specific task.
- Perform additional job duties as assigned by the Engineering Department Manager to maintain an even workflow of the office and/or operations thereof.
- Perform traffic counts and roadway inventory of signs, culverts, guardrails.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Normally reports for work at the County Courthouse, Newport, but may be assigned to report to work at any road district or other county facility either on a temporary or extended basis. Normal work shift is 6:00am to 4:30pm but may be assigned to other work schedules either on a temporary or extended basis.
Routinely stands, bends, sits, kneels and/or squats in awkward positions on hard surfaces for extended time periods: walks, climbs and/or crawls up or down inclines, stairs, ladders, etc. sometimes while carrying, pulling, pushing and/or lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds. Exposure to noise, fumes, chemicals and/or extreme weather conditions can be expected.
Regular and punctual attendance is required. May work extended hours, varied starting time, on weekends and holidays and on overtime, sometimes with little or no notice.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to use a computer with Microsoft Office
- Ability to operate roadway engineering and surveying equipment. With the ability to perform basic engineering and surveying calculations.
- Must be available on a full-time basis with flexibility to work weekends and overtime to accommodate responsibility during construction projects.
- This is a seasonal position working a window during summer break from school which may include the months of June through September.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment physical, a background check and a driver record check.
BEHAVIORAL STANDARDS: Respectful, courteous, and friendly to customers, other County employees, and County leadership. A team player that helps the organization meets its objectives. Takes initiative to meet work objectives. Effectively communicates with customers and other County employees. Gets along with co-workers and managers. Positively represents the County, maintaining the trust County residents have placed in each of us. Demonstrates honest and ethical behaviors.