REPORTS TO: Road District Foreman
Full-Time (40 hours / week); Non-exempt Position
Wage: $18.00 per hour
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Perform construction and maintenance tasks to contribute to an effective and efficient road system within the assigned district. Employee may not exceed 866 hours in the contract year. This position is a seasonal non-exempt position, and is non-represented, and does not include benefits. Employee work cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Must possess or obtain after employment a current Washington State Traffic Control Flagging Card.
- Cleaning and preparing construction sites, loading, and unloading materials and equipment.
- Cleaning and installing culverts or drain tiles, cutting and removing brush and trees and removing obstacles from roadways and adjacent areas, patching and repairing roadways and installing and repairing guardrail, fences, and signposts.
- Flagging for chip seal programs and for road projects as needed in all Districts.
- Wash vehicles, clean Sweet Creek Rest Area, shop clean up, clean bridges, cut and stack firewood and haul trash to transfer station.
- Operate equipment such as road sweeper, rollers, etc. as qualified.
- Other duties as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Much of this work is performed outdoors with periods of standing, sitting, and kneeling. Routinely bends, and/or squats in awkward positions on hard surfaces for extended time periods: walks, climbs and/or crawls up or down inclines, stairs, ladders, etc. sometimes while carrying, pulling, pushing and/or lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds. Exposure to noise, fumes, chemicals and/or extreme weather conditions can be expected. Regular and punctual attendance is required and because of the nature of this position, duties must be performed during regular working hours within the department, no telecommuting.
- Must possess a current Driver’s License.
- Must be able reliable, team player and able to follow instructions.
- Ability to operate vehicles of less than 26,001lbs GVW and road sweeper desirable.
- Have mechanical aptitude for minor work on equipment and use of power tools.
- Good physical condition as this position requires some heavy manual labor.
- Must be able to work in a safe manner and contribute to a safe work environment.
- Must demonstrate a firm commitment to attend college on a full-time basis.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must be able to perform work in outdoor climate.