Pend Oreille Country is located in North Eastern Washington, on the boarder of Northern Idaho and Canada, with Newport, Washington being the County seat. We are just miles from major cities such as Spokane, Washington and Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. We offer rural living, fantastic recreational opportunities, and beautiful scenery! In short, Pend Oreille County is a great place to live, work, and play.
Buildings and Grounds
Salary: $1,961.56 – $2,203.67 per month DOE plus benefits
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Works cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees. During the period of training, the Facilities Maintenance Apprentice performs semi-skilled maintenance using hand and power tools under the direct supervision of the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor or the Facilities Maintenance Lead Tech, following established procedures in the construction, repair, maintenance of County buildings and facilities. The Facilities Maintenance Apprentice prepares work sites for repair/maintenance work and returns work sites to a useable condition at the completion of construction or repair work. This is a non-exempt position and subject to a collective bargaining agreement. Successful applicant will be requested to apply for on the job training through Rural Resources.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Building and ground maintenance experience preferred.
- Knowledge and ability to utilize small power tools, riding lawn mowers, etc.
- Computer experience preferred. Excel / Word / Spice Works or equivalent
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Must successfully pass a background check, pre-employment physical, and a driving record check.
- Must have a flagger certification or ability to obtain within 1 year.
- NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Final appointment is contingent upon successfully passing a thorough fingerprint based federal and county background investigation to be completed by the Pend Oreille County Sheriff’s Office.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist Facilities Maintenance personnel in the repair and maintenance of County property
- Basic understanding and ability for buildings and utility systems, including landscaping and maintenance of grounds.
- Assist with maintaining county equipment such as utility systems, office furniture, and outdoor utility tools such as lawnmowers and snow blowers.
- Deice walkways and entrances to County buildings.
- Snow grooming using shovels, snow blowers, plows and sanding hoppers.
- Maintain sufficient inventory supplies.
- Backup Facilities Maintenance personnel with electronic tracking and reporting of
- Maintenance work orders as needed.
- Training will be provided on basic electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, security, and grounds maintenance.
- Preform other related job duties as assigned .
The Facilities Maintenance Technician I Apprentice responds to training and practical instruction by learning and demonstrating the ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. Advancement opportunities to Technician I based on performance evaluation completed every 6 months with Public Works Director. Technician II step advancement will follow step increase outlined in the County policy.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Routinely stands, bends, sits, kneels and/or squats in awkward positions on hard surfaces for extended time periods: walks, climbs and/or crawls up or down inclines, stairs, ladders, etc. sometimes while carrying, pulling, pushing and/or lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds. Exposure to noise, fumes, chemicals and/or extreme weather conditions can be expected. This position requires good human relations skills and punctual attendance. Normal work hours will be M-F 6:00am -2:30pm. After hours and weekend work may be requested with little notice.
Please see the Facilities Maintenance Technician I Apprentice Job Description above for all essential job functions and working conditions.
Pend Oreille County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.