Pend Oreille Country is located in North Eastern Washington, on the boarder of Northern Idaho and Canada, with Newport, Washington being the County seat. We are just miles from major cities such as Spokane, Washington and Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. We offer rural living, fantastic recreational opportunities, and beautiful scenery! In short, Pend Oreille County is a great place to live, work, and play.
Wage: 21.68 per hour
Perform construction, road maintenance and snow plowing tasks to contribute to an effective and efficient road system within the assigned district. This position is temporary, on call, non-union. Works cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees. Employee may not exceed 866 hours in the contract year.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must possess a valid Class ‘A’ Commercial Driver’s License.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience operating dump trucks required.
- Proven ability to operate single axle and tandem axle trucks with snow plow and dump box or sander box.
- Proven ability to operate a 3 to 5 cubic yard loader.
- Ability to chain-up truck.
- Ability to work flexible schedules at night time, extended work hours and on holidays and weekends.
- Ability to perform work in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to operate a grader, road sweeper and other road maintenance equipment desirable.
- Mechanical aptitude for minor work on equipment and use of power tools required.
- Good physical condition as this position requires some heavy manual labor.
- Must successfully pass a background check, driving record check and a pre-employment physical.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operate a ten-yard dump truck with plow and sander.
- Operate a 3 to 5 cubic yard loader.
- Operate other road construction and maintenance equipment.
- Work independently on assigned snow plow routes.
- Perform heavy manual labor such as cleaning and installing culverts, cutting and removing brush and trees and removing obstacles from roadways and adjacent areas.
- The position also does manual labor connected with patching and repairing roadways and installing and repairing guardrail, fences and sign posts.
- Grease and perform minor repairs such as change light bulbs on assigned equipment.
- Work in a safe manner and contribute to a safe work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Routinely operates vehicles in extreme weather conditions for extended time periods. Routinely stands, bends, sits, kneels and/or squats in awkward positions on hard surfaces for extended time periods: walks, climbs and/or crawls up or down inclines, stairs, ladders, etc. sometimes while carrying, pulling, pushing and/or lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds. Exposure to noise, fumes, chemicals and/or extreme weather conditions can be expected. Regular, call-out and punctual attendance is required. Work extended hours with little or no notice. Work on weekend and holidays with little or no notice. Mandatory overtime with little or no notice.
Respectful, courteous, and friendly to customers, other County employees, and County leadership. A team player that helps the organization meet its objectives. Takes initiative to meet work objectives. Effectively communicates with customers and other County employees. Gets along with co-workers and managers. Positively represents the County, maintaining the trust County residents have placed in each of us. Demonstrates honest and ethical behaviors.