Property Assessment Appeals Process

Pend Oreille County Board of Equalization

The Board of Equalization is an impartial citizen board that hears property value disputes and determines assessed value. 

PO Box 5018
Newport, WA  99156-5018

Margie Fedderly – BOE Member
Mary Hodges-Cates– BOE Member
Richard Miller – BOE Member
Bob Sanborn– Alternate Member
Rhonda Cary – Clerk

To appeal an Assessor’s valuation of your property from your recently mailed Valuation Notice you must file, in a timely manner, a completed appeal petition with the Pend Oreille County Board of Equalization.  There is no fee charged for filing an appeal.  Petitions must be received by the Board on or before July 1st of the assessment year (the year before the tax is due) or within thirty (30) days after the date of assessment, value change notice or other notice has been mailed.

The appeal petition form must be used; a letter or phone call is not acceptable as a substitute for the petition form.  Please file two (2) copies of the completed petition form with the Board.  You must submit separate petitions for each parcel that you want the Board to review.

Petition forms are available by downloading the following information and forms:

Or you may pick up information and forms at the following locations:

    • Board of Equalization Clerk – 509-447-2712, located within the County Commissioners’ Office at 625 W 4th St., Newport, WA (main floor); or
    • Assessor’s Office – 509-447-4312, located at 625 W 4th St., Newport, WA  (top floor).

Under very limited conditions, late petitions or appeals for previous assessment years may be accepted (WAC 458-14-056; WAC 458-14-127).

If you have not received your Valuation Notice from the Pend Oreille County Assessor, please notify the Assessor’s Office at 509-447-4312.  Please provide them with your name, address and parcel number.