- Both applicants visit our office to complete paperwork not later than 4:00 pm;
- If both applicants can’t come to our office to complete the paperwork, please download the Marriage Application and have it signed in front of a notary public and return the completed application to our office for processing;
- Both applicants must have a current photo ID as proof of your age and identity;
- Applicants must pay fees at time of licensing, cash or check only;
- Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older. Applicants who are 17 years of age must be accompanied by one parent or legal guardian who can provide consent. Applicants under the age of 17 must obtain permission from the Family Court;
- Application process takes approximately 30 minutes.
- Waiting Period: There is a mandatory 3-day (calendar day) waiting period before the license becomes valid. The 3 day waiting period begins on the date of application. No exceptions can be made.
- Period Valid: Your ceremony must be performed in any Washington county within 60 days of application.
- Location of Ceremony: A license obtained in any Washington county is valid anywhere in the state.
- Public Record: All marriage applications and certificates are a matter of public record. Once a marriage has been recorded it cannot be unrecorded.
- Blood tests and physical exams are not required to obtain a marriage license.
- Proof of divorce from a previous spouse, or death of a spouse, is not required to obtain a marriage license. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the final decree of divorce is filed before applying for a new marriage license.
Witnesses & Ceremony
- State law requires that at least two witnesses be present at the ceremony. Witnesses should be at least 12 years of age.
- State law prescribes who can perform a marriage ceremony: See RCW 26.04.050 for a complete list.
- Certified copies of marriage licenses must be requested. Requests may be made in person or by mail.
- To request in person, please come to the Recording Department located at the Pend Oreille County Recording Department, address listed below;
- To request by mail, please send a request with bride, groom, and date of marriage to the Pend Oreille County Recording Department, address listed below;
Certified copies: $3 each
Photocopies: $1 each
- Our marriage records can also be accessed at the Washington State Digital Archives
- All public documents, including marriage certificates, are available from the Recording Department.